View Single Post
Old 09-19-2014, 09:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You stated you have no experience with tri-power and I don't want to discourage you in any way. However, I have rebuilt, restored and raced dozens of them and you should be aware of a few things before you jump into building one. 1. They are really cool! 2. Nothing beats the sound of a tri-power under full power, it sounds like 2 Q-jets!. 3. It has tremendous street cred. at the cruise-in, car show. 4. Makes the owner look like some kind of induction guru because it looks so complicated. Now the down side. 1. Assuming the intake you found is the right style, it will be the least expensive part of the conversion. 2. Correct carburetors are getting scarce and expensive. Correct front and rear carbs are specific to tri-power, they have no choke system, no idle circuit and different throttle arms and fuel inlet locations. You can use any old 2-jet in all locations but it takes lots of work and doesn't look correct. 3. Fuel lines and air filters and linkages are available, but expensive. 4. Fuel leaks and potential fire issues need to be carefully monitored when first installed. Lots of potential leaks. 5. If your overall goal is improved performance over a Q-jet, you may be disappointed. A properly prepared Q-jet will run right with any tri-power and may slightly out perform it. I have done some back to back track tests over the years with tri-power and q-jet set-ups and they ran almost even, within a few tenths and 1 mph. No doubt, tri-power is really cool but be ready to spend considerable $$ to get it all together. My guess is 4-5 times the cost of a good Q-jet and intake. Best of luck with your project.