View Single Post
Old 03-01-2015, 01:08 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwoods4 View Post
Correction

The reason the bypass is blocked off has nothing to do with separating the water xover from the intake. The bypass can still be used [ or blocked ] whether the xover is stand alone or integral with the intake.

The bypass serves two purposes:
[1] it acts as pressure relief valve, should the stat jam in the closed position.
[2] the bypass hole connects to the inlet side of the pump to heated coolant exiting the xover; the bypass gives faster warm up because some heated water is fed directly to the feed side of the pump.

so really the only reason to block off the bypass is if the seal is leaking between the intake and the bypass. or in racing situations to change coolant flow using restrictors. I was unable to get the engine to come up to temperature no matter what type of hole I drilled in the thermostat with a blocked off bypass
I have run both Thermostats and Restrictor plates in the past.

I have drilled holes in the EDGE ring of the T-Stat to allow air to bleed past the t-stat and help filling the cooling system easier.

I have installed bleeder type fittings in the water pump side of the timing cover to purge the air from the timing cover and help water pump efficiency. (Evans Cooling does this on all of their water pump modded vehicles).

Without the bypass from the cross-over to the water pump side of the timing cover it is possible to cavitate the water pump under some conditions. Pontiac Engineers did Things for a Reason.

Tom V.

Some old aftermarket intakes did not have the provision for the by-pass to match up with the timing cover.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.