View Single Post
Old 09-02-2015, 11:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoric View Post
Keith, I'd like to correctly credit the original photographer of the modern pics displayed above. He is POCI & Michigan Widetracker chapter member Mike Woody. That is Mike's Tempest parked on the street in front of the building.

Mike was part of a POCI exploratory committee charged with identifying possible locations for a possible POCI-sponsored Pontiac-Oakland museum, possibly located in the Detroit/S.E. Michigan area. This was in the early to mid-2000s, long before Tim Dye founded the current POMARC facility in Pontiac, IL.

As I understand it, the committee was comprised of about a half dozen POCI members, including John Sawruk. They looked at a hand-full of sites, but the POCI could not pull the trigger on any further developmental commitments.

Here's a link to an early PY Forums-based, weak as it may have been, attempt to organize a formal P-O museum.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...ghlight=museum

As you may read there, my first feeble efforts were very suddenly and very ably overtaken by the current POMARC. I am still of the persuasion that a “satellite” or adjunct POMARC in the S.E. Mi area would serve to draw out a lot of local historical materials that need to be saved from the landfill.

A lot of Pontiac's history is ending up in the trash. As an example...

A local friend of mine, who is both observant and history-minded, noticed a dumpster outside of a home in his local neighborhood that had been unoccupied for some time. He kept an eye on the goings-on, and soon noticed a pile of comic books in the “bin of death.” He is not a comic collector, but is an automotive literature collector. After a day or so of no additional action (and no rain) he liberated nearly 3,000 books ranging in age from 1965-1990-ish. A day later the dumpster was gone. Here is a large pile of comics that were abandoned by someone, discarded by someone, and saved from oblivion by someone.

Can you imagine all of the historical PMD/Oakland materials that could end up the same way, saved from oblivion?
Wow, awesome information!

Tim gets donations all the time, and you can imagine how many people bring in boxes and boxes of stuff from old Pontiac dealerships. No one had anticipated Pontiac going under when the museum was planned.

Are there any photos of the interior of the Pontiac Retail Store when it was in operation? I'm sure there's a few pics in the Pontiac Museum, just haven't run across them yet.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.