View Single Post
Old 04-13-2016, 05:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwheelbob View Post
I hate to admit this, but I may as well for complete disclosure. I spoke Sunday night to East Coast Guy ("ECG").who owned the car before WCG. He bought the car through a Michigan car dealer (Car Planet) who I now believe bought the car and had the title assigned from the long term owner without ever titling it himself. When ECG bought the car the orginal honeycombs along with the original Wide Ovals had been removed for wheel restoration and tire replacement. This replacement and restoration had not been completed so the dealer swapped them for a set from a '74 Super Duty he had on the lot that were restored. He was supposed to send these to ECG and swap them after the car was delivered, but never did. ECG has a few pictures somewhere of the original wheels and Wide Ovals and is trying to find them to share with me. The car has an orginal wide oval that was he spare. I need to check the wheel that is in the trunk and now has a BFG.

I now believe the long term owner parked the car in 1980 for some reason based upon the inspection sticker date and other dots that can be connected, and then it was sold 31 years later to Car Planet. I have tried to track down the long term owner - Greg Anderson of Marion, Indiana, but have had no luck. He would be 63 today and should still be around, but I can't get a hit. The original 1973 lessee is a Marion Urologist that I have numbers for, but haven't spoken to. He's 74, but only had the car for one year.
Very interesting about the " original" honeycomb wheels and tires. When I was purchasing the car , and after the inspection, I was never told about the original wheels/ tires at all. I just assumed that they were the originals and the date codes were not included on the inspection. Also, I believe that I had asked on the forum regarding the lack of mention of honeycomb wheels that the PHS did not list them because they were a no-cost choice between honeys and Rally II wheels.
The previous seller that I bought the car from ( ECG) did say that he bought from a dealer that did not title the car so that part rings true.