View Single Post
Old 10-20-2016, 11:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great explanation Dan.

On my 61, the original design was for negative caster (upper BJ in front of spindle!). Yes, that is correct and weird. So, with modern tires, it was especially hard to align for positive caster. I did a pretty deep study and tried a couple things, but ultimately I cut off the shock towers from the frame and rotated them back a bit. For lowering, I cut the springs, can't remember how much, but that worked well for me.

I also found fault with the original center link design. I don't know about 60, but with the 61, the center of each pivot point on the center link (where idler, pitman, and tie rods all connect to center link) were not in perfect alignment along the axis. So if you grabbed and rotated the center link on it's axis, the idler and pitman would stay put, but it would waggle the tie rods a little, so there was slop. I don't know if my original center link was bent or if they are all cast like that. But I built an I-beam style heavy duty centerlink on heims and can rotate link on axis without any movement in the geometry, and bump steer was adjustable where heim mounted to spindle which helped. I also built an oversized idler arm with a large frame mounted plate to get rid of that flex. Oversize sway bar too. I have owned a couple 61's and the suspension changes were my favorite because you can feel the improvements and makes for more enjoyable driving. 245 radial tires on my first 61 was a menace. Same tires and wheels with the mods mentioned above on my current 61 is real sure and buttery.