View Single Post
Old 11-24-2016, 01:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
There is tremendous satisfaction in building the entire engine yourself IF everything goes properly. Only you know if you have the tools, skills and ability to get everything super clean before and during assembly. The reason for the sticker shock is the Butlers and other professionals know how much work and time it takes to build a proper race engine. They have to charge for that time. My general recommendation is to take your time, have a clean, organized, dedicated area to build in. As you measure and assemble, if something doesn't look right, stop immediately and figure out why. Do some trial assemblies, especially if it's a stroker to make sure there is proper clearance around all moving parts, including oil pans, scrapers, screens. I strongly recommend buying a proper tapered ring compressor for your bore size. This tool almost totally eliminates a twisted or broken piston ring. Have some fun and put it together!
X2 on the tapered ring compressor. I borrowed one of them nearly 20 years ago from a circle track race engine builder, and I've never used anything else since then. They are money well spent!

'78 Lemans - Drag car project