View Single Post
Old 04-27-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transamric View Post
Not that you haven't done enough work already, but how about following up on this with a few tips on what gun you recommend and what pressures & thinning you used.
For the high build primers I used a cheap Harbor freight gun with a 1.5 tip.
For epoxy primers I used a cheap Harbor freight gun with a 1.4 tip.
For base coat, clear coat, Acrylic Lacquer, and Acrylic Enamel I used a Sata Jet 4000 with a 1.3 tip. There's a bunch of companies that sell nice guns like the SATA.

I use adjustable pressure valves with gauges on my guns but don't look at the numbers on the gauge. I just go by adjusting the spray pattern, paint volume, and pressure based on whatever it is I'm painting. In the case of these small sample pieces narrowing the spray pattern way down and reducing paint volume way down allows me to turn the pressure way down so I can paint without blowing the pieces around.

The advantage of using a higher quality gun like the Sata for top coats is really noticeable when you want to turn everything way down to shoot small things. The cheap guns don't perform as well IMO when you try to turn down to a very small pattern and use real low pressure. They don't atomize the paint as well. Same thing with the "jamb guns" I have. While they're small and easier to use in tight spots, I can't turn them down as low and get the same finish results on small items like I can with a gun like the Sata. When painting something like the welting the finish has to be nice because you only get one shot at it and can't really sand & buff it to get rid of orange peel.

Temps here in south FL are pretty consistent day to day and all the samples were shot between 78-82 degrees using moderate temp thinners. PPG DTR 601 for enamel and PPG DT 885 for the acrylic Urethanes. Recommended ratios were used for everything other than just a splash of extra reducer used in the PPG 2021 clear coat formulation. Clear was shot with a little higher pressure and with the gun a little farther away from the samples being painted to get a nice finish by kind of misting the samples till they're wet. By doing it that way there's no orange peel.