View Single Post
Old 09-28-2017, 12:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes it was balanced, but when I look at the small ends they look pretty symmetrical side to side.

Took another very close look, all the rods are offset in the cylinder bore to the chamfer side of the rod. The small end is on the same center as the big end ... meaning if you laid them on the side the small end is the same width as the big end and it would lay flat ... near as I can measure with them installed, so the rods are "straight", with no appreciable offset.

If I was an engineer ... I would almost say that the cylinder bores, and rods, were designed with this spacing to make the engine block shorter for some reason. Imagine if you kept moving the cylinder bores on each bank, closer and closer to being lined up with each other ... the block would get shorter, but the rods would have to be offset in the bores farther and farther to one side to get both rods on the same journal. Until ... as seen in a "perfect" V type two cylinder ... you end up with a male and female rod on the same journal, that both have the same center point. I think Harley did it that way.

PS. While I'm at it ... does the dipstick tube look correct?

Last edited by dataway; 09-28-2017 at 01:12 AM.