View Single Post
Old 07-10-2018, 07:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Craig, I probably was too harsh regarding my experience with the Powermaster line, but their stock style starter is nothing more than lipstick on a pig (am I being to harsh again???). Maybe I just got a bad one. I had nothing but problems since it was first installed and I admit that I didn't look at it too closely before I installed it. If I did I would have noticed the standard duty solenoid (shorter and heavy spring tension) and the standard duty starter with the shorter winding in the case. That would have been a good tip-off for coming issues. It always dragged noisily despite a variety of shims, or no shims, always growled the same, when cold....when hot, and nothing since it was dead after it heat soaked. After spraying it with cool water for 20 minutes with the hood open for ventilation, it would grind and growl slowly, but fast enough to start. I tried to find gas stations with a slope and enough room to 'push start' it if I had to. Yeah, the reman heavy duty starter seems to be working alright so far. We'll see soon after a couple hour/200 mile drive on a hot day to see how it really does. I'm hoping our 'Van Wert' days are behind us. I'm sure learning a lot about GM starters!

Dennis

Dennis