View Single Post
Old 06-08-2019, 09:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
You said your temp sensor for the fans is on the radiator correct?

It's not one of those probes you stick in the fins is it? We just experimented with one of those controllers. While the adjustable rheostat is nice, we found using the radiator as a heat source for the switch was very inconsistent and wouldn't kick the fans on until the engine was pretty darn hot. It got to a point we turned the rheostat nearly all the way down but then it would kick the fans on and never shut down. I theorized I think it has to do with the ambient air flow coming across the radiator combined with hot under hood temps causing that temp probe to do wonky things. When we were moving down the road the fans wouldn't even work at all as the engine temp creeped. Too much cool outside air moving through keeping the probe cold.

Once we switched it over to a switch that screwed to the engine and controlled the fans that way, suddenly they worked as intended, turned on and off at the temps we wanted and now keeps the engine cooled properly.

Just based on that experience, I'll never use a controller again that relies on the radiator temps to control the fans. Much more accurate to use a temp sender in the head or intake manifold. Something to think about and easy/cheap to try.
This literally sounds exactly like what I'm having an issue with
Do you know what brand probe you put on the intake/engine

The only ones I could find that fit the teeny thread of my rad was a cheap offshore one that I don't trust much anyway