View Single Post
Old 01-01-2020, 02:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
I've switched back and forth between long tube headers and factory ram air manifolds on my 70 Formula, with no other changes.

It's actually noticeably louder with the exhaust manifolds on the car.
Larry,

I agree with you.

I think a future comparison might take place with the '73 that is receiving the 496 and the '70. The exhaust will be the same except the '73 will have Dougs long tube headers and the '70 will have the RAIV manifolds with the 2.5" outlet.

Thanks,

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMounce View Post
Yes, it does.

Without getting too technical, the video (and sound recording that goes with it) is shot "off axis" from the 78 and "on axis" for the 70.

From a mic technique standpoint, off-axis recording where the mic is at an angle from direction of sound, produces a warmer, softer sound, while a mic that is on axis, directly in the path of sound will produce a brighter and often louder sound.

That said, you can still glean a good amount of comparison here. Those turn downs will act to quiet the car because as a human you're hearing it from the same angle the video was taken from. The rear exit exhaust of 70 is the same thing, it's not sending sound waves into the ground first so you're going to hear more of it in the real world as well.
JLMounce,

I hear what you are saying, but I have a friend with a 1979 T/A with the same recipe as I have in my '78. The only difference is I have headers on mine and he has Ram Air III exhaust manifolds. At one point, my car was parked next to his at a show. When both cars were running you could only barely hear my '78.

At another show I had the '70 and my friend had his '79. There was barely a difference between the sound. The '70 was louder, but only by a very small fraction.

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited by napster; 01-01-2020 at 02:26 PM.