View Single Post
Old 01-25-2020, 07:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Aftermarket vinyl tops were a popular up sale @ dealerships & as an aftermarket addition in the early to mid '70's. Have hauled in well over a dozen '70-72 A-body's & GP's as partscars that had trim shop added vinyl tops. On that era of Pontiac A-body 2door, the edge molding was typically a one piece plastic semi-hoop, not the factory stainless strips & chromed potmetal corner pieces. Very easy to spot such an aftermarket top & the early chromed plastic edge molding would get a yellowish cast to it within a few years.

Very common to see rust damage to the roof & catwalk & occasionally on the pillars of cars of this era with aftermarket vinyl tops, as the typical spray on glue of the time interacted with the original lacquer paint, eventually creating trapped rust. Peel off the top, & one will see the damage.

As mentioned in my first post on this thread, brought up the aftermarket vinyl top subject with one of my long time metal/bodymen in respect to one of my own vehicles. Very well stored indoors for 35 of its last 49 years & under a carport throughout the 70's, this Pontiac has rust pocks in the B pillar area of the roof above the leaded seem of the passenger 1/4 panel. That area is a high stress area, structurally. Solution is I will be removing all the spotwelds & we will be properly replacing the roof skin, only way to do it right.

Last edited by 'ol Pinion head; 01-25-2020 at 07:08 PM.