View Single Post
Old 09-05-2020, 11:46 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint View Post
Called a local muffler shop hoping to have them swap a set of headers out. Mine have lost their luster over the years and I came across a great deal on replacements with a superior ceramic coat job. He told me to bring the car by Friday (yesterday) and they would take care of it.

When I arrived, I told the owner it was a swap of identical headers, same manufacturer and model with no interference issues and brought gaskets and new header bolts also. He declined to come outside to look at the car and asked if I wanted to wait or leave the car. I said "I'd like to know the approx. cost before I do either." The guy tells me $350.00 and I just told him "Really? That sounds like an I don't want to bother with this job price. I thought you wanted to do this." and walked out the door.

The last time I was in they only charged me $150 labor to install my complete Flowmaster system including welding the mufflers, header extensions and tips.

If it’s such a simple job then why not DIY?

The first/last time I installed headers on a pontiac I spent a ton of time cranking down bolts - some of them 1/8 turn at a time with a modified wrench. I’d probably pass on the job for $150 as well.