View Single Post
Old 11-09-2020, 01:41 PM

Default 1965 GTO Grille Restoration

Hi folks. I have a general question about the restoration of my 1965 GTO grilles. I recently had them re-chromed, and as the factory did the chrome shop polished only the outer lip to a reflective shine. This leaves me, of course, with painting duties in satin black and argent silver.

There is a Hot Rod magazine article online that describes the restoration of 1965 GTO grilles where they scuff up the to-be-painted areas, primer them, then topcoat.

In speaking with an experienced body shop supply store employee this morning, I described my project and mentioned that I would be primering over unpolished, "scuffed up" chrome then painting my colors. His opinion was that under no circumstances should I ever primer and paint over chrome, whether that chrome is polished, unpolished, or scuffed up.

He instead suggested that I very carefully mask the polished outer lip with heavy vinyl tape then sandblast the rest of the grille. Next, epoxy primer followed by the topcoat.

While I like his idea, I am a little afraid that I will ruin the polished chrome outer lip with sandblasting regardless of how careful I am.

Has anyone tried this and had success?

Last edited by propuckstopper; 11-09-2020 at 02:21 PM.