View Single Post
Old 02-14-2021, 05:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

While I extremely happy with my various John Deeres, probably the biggest consideration if buying a tractor is to check out the reputation of your local dealer.

We have a local CaseIH, and a local Allis Chalmers. The closest John Deere dealer is now 30 miles away; and they outsell the others locally by probably 15 or 20 to 1 simply because of their service.

If there is a problem (or if one wants a complete service) they offer free pickup and delivery.

I wouldn't change a thing on the 950; except if Dad hadn't bought it new, I would trade in a heartbeat for a gasoline version. Lots of good memories.

But why don't I like diesel?

(1) If the ambient is below 35 degrees, the crankcase heater will have to be plugged in for an hour, or it won't start.
(2) If the ambient falls below zero, the diesel fuel freezes.

What good is a front-end loader in the winter if the fuel freezes?

Fortunately, I have a gasoline Gator with a cab and front blade; and a gasoline 318 with a cab and front blade. The 318 has 2800 hours, and smokes a little, but still will start at 15 below (maybe colder).

So, suggest you check out your local dealers reputation, unless you wish to do all of your own maintenance.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.