View Single Post
Old 03-10-2021, 12:38 PM
Suspended

The Dynomax Super Turbo #17749 is one the best mufflers I ever used. At first, they sound too quiet but after they wear in the sound starts to come out of them.. After a few years and 10,000 miles or so of use, they really sound great..

Three years ago I bought a 69 el Camino with a stock 1978 truck 454. Turbo 400, 2:87 rear end.. It had a 2-1/2" Pypes system with Pypes mufflers and X pipe.. While driving home I couldn't get that X pipe off fast enough! lol.. After removing the X I found out the issue was also in the mufflers too. I had two 17749 mufflers in the shed. I went to the local Meineke muffler shop and had the tech make me up two down pipes. I buttoned everything up. Put a zip screw at each connection along with Walker exhaust pipe sealer and Walker stainless clamps for lap joints.. Tightened everything up and let everything dry for 24 hours.. By the way I also squirt a qt of cheap transmission fluid into each muffler. I make sure it gets into every corner with the sound deadener getting thoroughly soaked.. Once this burns out and stops smoking the car will sound fantastic and it will keep getting better and better sounding..
This old Hot Rodder showed me this when I was a kid helping him change the exhaust system on his 49 Merc.. He showed me this oil trick on the Smithy glass packs he was installing on his Merc... I remember him a couple years later saying' look at those mufflers, they still look like new. Its from the oil I soaked them in"... That Merc had a big 1958 MEL 430 motor.. Wow did it sound nice!! It also sounds great on my 454...

Last edited by 389; 03-10-2021 at 01:08 PM.