View Single Post
Old 05-24-2021, 09:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I mentioned Dave Diehl's name because I figured guys might remember him and as I recall, he specifically dealt in '64 parts. I also bought a '64 rear axle assembly with a 2.56 Safe-T-Track from him at the same time although it proved a bit too rough for me to use. I'm pretty sure I responded to an ad in Hemmings or maybe The Legend and I drove out to Pittsburgh from Chicago to make the purchase.

Any thoughts about the p/n? Just curious as to what 4437119 is supposed to identify since it doesn't seem to be in the MPC.

I am also familiar with the dog eared corners. When I bought my original '64 convert from the original owner in '73, the boot was missing. That GTO had a Blue interior. I snagged a Black '64 boot during one of my many forays to the junkyard and used it. It curled up at the corners and at some point I noticed that other GTOs in the junkyard (not necessarily '64s) had the snap in the corner so I was aware of that feature.

I can't be sure that Dave represented the current boot as a '64. I've never determined if there was a running change in '64 to add the corner snaps. If there was, it might have been out of a '64. Or maybe Dave advertised it as a "will fit" and we both would have known it was actually correct for a '65 with the corner snaps. Regardless, my Nov built '64 doesn't have them. Not really an issue. Unless they're easily removable, I expect I will just leave them on.

When I bought the GTO in '73, my Dad had his '72 Impala convert and I was familiar with how that boot installed. Instead of clips, plastic pieces slid under the molding. It seemed a much better design and of course fit very well compared to my '64 boot with the mismatched color and curled up corners. I was proud of my GTO but the Impala bought new was so much nicer condition. Wonder if young guys today appreciate how cars back then were usually worn out by the time they were 10 years old? I think that GTO had maybe 70k miles on it. The engine was still pretty strong but it was a well worn old car by '73. Young and dumb, I literally abandoned that still good running GTO in '79 for want of $125. Soon after, I began kicking myself as '64 GTO and parts prices soared.

When I bought the current '64 30+ years ago, it came with an aftermarket boot. I don't recall if it is even a correct style, I still have it in the packaging box it came in. What I do remember, it is bright white. When I asked the previous owner why he bought a white boot for a Black interior GTO, he told me, "Because the Top is White". It was one of many things the previous owner had no clue about.

Anyway, I digress. Andre, I'm no longer in Fla, retired to the mountains of GA. Not as hot here as I like it but I'll have to make do.

You've given me hope that I might salvage my boot.

The clips on mine seem in very good shape save for one that got bent. I'm hoping I can unbend it without breaking it. They are still black, no rust. Only snapped a few into place the other day but they seemed to snap firmly onto the molding.

Did you stretch it in place on the car or can I stretch it over something else? Or just get my wife to play tug-of-war with me??!! I'm (is terrified the right word) of scratching the paint while pulling on it while on the car.

The vinyl itself seems very pliable.

I think the worst issue is the hard plastic that shapes the boot at the forward ends. The ends are kinda folded and flattened and the plastic is stiff now. Do you think the hard plastic can be massaged back to shape?

Any suggested methods for attempting it?