Thread: Genealogy
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2021, 04:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimFB400HO View Post
I found Ancestry.com the best. I used trees posted by others only for hints for my own research because too many of them are inaccurate or just copies of other's trees.

Some folks get in too large of a hurry, and don't fully check references.

And sometimes, logistics really can be a problem.

Example:

One of my ancestors was named John, and married a lady whose father was named William. John and his wife had 16 children. At the time, they resided in Kentucky. 12 of the children and their spouses, if married, traveled by wagon train to a county in Missouri. In the span 1840 through 1845, four of the sons had male children, each who was named John William for the grandparents.

Following this family was a definite challenge!

Mother found correspondence with others following the same line yielded far more accurate results than online databases. However, this observation from 15 years ago. Perhaps the online databases are more accurate today; but as Jim said, would still use these as hints for research rather than believing as gospel.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.