View Single Post
Old 07-09-2021, 09:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lust4speed View Post
Seems that most race teams ending up with big holes cut in the back of the pan because the added holes smoothed out air pulses that were disrupting carburetor fuel metering. I took that to mean that a simple ram air setup actually providing ram air effectively could screw up performance because of normal wind buffeting present at speed.
I found something similar testing my Formula at the track. The factory ram air setup on this car seems to work pretty good and the car is very sensitive to it.

Every pass I found the crank case vent filter would blow out of it's housing and be laying in the back of the air cleaner. I later found that anything over about 80 mph on the highway would do it, leading me to believe there was quite a bit of air being pushed into the air cleaner. I ended up tying it to the housing (The original was stapled)

So back at the track I tried removing the air filter. That absolutely killed the ET and MPH. It dropped nearly a 1/2 second. I put the air filter back in and all was back to normal. I figured the air coming in was turbulent and the filter helped to slow down and straighten the air flow. To date that particular car has run it's best with that system in tact and functioning with it's stock filter, base, and lid.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE