View Single Post
Old 07-25-2021, 09:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What my father said in post #8 is right on the money. The Cold Case radiator is an excellent piece, we've used a few of them now. The dual electric fan setup however we struggled with. I came to the conclusion the unit was too shallow and it blocked too much radiator to allow air flow through the unit while moving. Once his car heated up it would never cool back down. Stock clutch fan and shroud back on the car and now it just doesn't get hot at all, never over 175. For an engine of that size and the HP it makes, that says something about the quality of that radiator and how well the stock fan setup will work especially here in Arizona.

As far as running 210, on a classic car that's just too high for my comfort zone. Our cars for starters push the pump gas limitations for the compressions we run. So it's imperative engine temps are kept under control.

Also at carburated fuel pressures, and todays fuels, vapor lock can be a real issue so again, keeping engine temps under control is a big player in keeping that in check.

Because of all that, and since we daily drive them throughout the year in the AZ heat, and can't have those types of issues, I keep our cars running on the cooler side of things. Typically, all the cars here either run a Cold Case Radiator or a Griffin radiator, they all have 160 stats, stock type clutch fan setups and factory shrouds. This seems to keep all the cars running in the 170-175 range even in the peak of summer when temps are 110+, whether it's a SBC, a BBC, or a Pontiac engine.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post: