Thread: 1967 GTO HO
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2021, 04:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Very good discussion on the use of the brake line shield.

I’ve never seen this coiled metal shield on 64-66 Tempest Series cars in the engine bay.

I have seen it starting in 1967 below the master cylinder.

I’m going to assume the automotive industry used this shielding for Flex and heat related reasons.
Heat rises and the master cylinder is up top. You want to prevent heated brake fluid in that cylinder.

Flex - master cylinder is fixed to body.
Distribution block is on the frame, which flexes with the body.

My initial statement pertained to the HO and Ram Air front brake pipes.
There is no flexing on those as they are clamped to the frame before they mate to a rubber hose at the inner fender skirt. Plus no close proximity to rubbing, crushing, etc.

I’ve owned three ‘67 HO cars over 45 years of collecting GTO’s and all of them had the T/8 “SHIELD, brake pipe” that’s listed in the MPC for the High Performance ‘67.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1AC08416-27D4-40D7-B695-40D018FF0288.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	574516  

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
The Following User Says Thank You to 60sstuff For This Useful Post: