View Single Post
Old 12-21-2021, 08:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default NHRA hp Factor Reductions

NHRA reduced the hp factor on 2 Pontiac Stock combos.

Pont 455 335 330 325 1971 T-37

Pont 455 360 335 330 1970 GTO

These reductions are said to have come as a result of NHRA considering reduction requests from racers running these combos.

Right now, I can only think one one guy currently running each of these combos.

(1) Don Turk is currently running the 455HO powered '71 T-37, which was the "Super Sleeper", made famous by Rock Running, back in the '70's. Ken Shawver then ran it for a while. IIRC, Danny Ashley made some updates to it. But Don Turk has it now.

(2) The only D-port 455 powered '70 GTO I know of has been raced by Todd Kuhn, for quite a few years now.

Don't know how much 5hp will help these guys. But, at least they can run the same class, at a slightly lower weight.

Obviously, NHRA does not reduce hp on a combo, just because somebody asks. Apparently somebody asked for a reduction on the '69 GTO RA3 engine. NHRA declined to reduce it. It's still at the factory 366hp. With the current Stock cam rules, I think 366 is too high for that engine. It doesn't have any more power potential than several similar D-port 400 engines, from that time period, IMO. It can run Ram Air. But I think it has been proven that the '69 GTO RA system does not add much power, if any.

http://www.classracerinfo.com/Engine...6&MAKE=Pontiac

With almost the exact same specs, the '69 350hp GTO engine is rated @ only 325hp. That sounds like it could be competitive. But, right now, I can't think of a single '69 GTO Stocker. Only know of one '69 GTO Super Stocker. Would like to know who asked for this hp reduction. Anybody know ?

http://www.classracerinfo.com/Engine...4&MAKE=Pontiac

I'd guess it would have to be someone who wanted to race a '69 Judge. I ASSUME NHRA would only allow either the RA3 or RA4 engine, in a '69 Judge.

Last edited by ponyakr; 12-21-2021 at 08:39 PM.