View Single Post
Old 01-10-2022, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
I'm more of an 80 fan than a 60 fan. I've run the 4L60E's in performance applications but never really liked the 3.06 first gear dropping to a 1.62 second if you had a really tight converter in it. Better with a loose converter but the 3.06 first gear still really isn't necessary.

So I just prefer the 80 gear ratios more, and the overall beef of the trans that will take more abuse than a street car will throw at it and it really doesn't need a bunch of modifications to do it. Most reputable places that build the 80's are relatively stock internally, no fancy billet input shafts, or output shafts, no fancy drums or sprags, and they'll still warranty them up to 850hp. Just a simple billet input shaft is all that is changed to push that warranty up to 1000 HP and Steve at Hughes has told me they have dozens of them running the stock input shaft at those levels without a problem, even though they do recommend a billet piece for those HP levels.
Agreed, the factory gear ratio drop from 1st to 2nd is pretty suck. However going to the 6 pinion planet changes the ratios. You end up with 2.84, 1.55, 1:0.