View Single Post
Old 03-09-2022, 11:16 AM

Default Rochester Quadrajet question

I posted this earlier probably in the wrong forum, so I'm re-posting.

Hey everyone,

I'm wondering, is there such a thing as an "engineering master" carburetor? There's this website that claims that when Rochester was building Quadrajets with specific specs for each engine, that "after the design was completed, the master was created. The Engineering Master. This was said to be hand carried by the executives to the automotive company for final approvals."

The website went on to state, "Once approved and signed off, they were carried back to the plant, painted gold to indicate they were ready for production. Every single carburetor produced with that code that year had to meet the specification tolerances to that single Engineering Master. They were then placed in storage where they were to be kept forever. They should never be sold or leave the facility.

Is there any truth to this claim? Apparently, some of these "masters" were recovered after the factory closed. I have not been able to find any other references to these "engineering master" carburetors anywhere on the internet.