View Single Post
Old 04-19-2022, 06:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

that kijiji link is mine - lol!

When I had my car last set up, it had a reverse lockout (lamp activation) rod for a 74-77 BW, along with the HCP (Hurst Competition Plus; aftermarket) rods and levers, and the original three speed column lockout assembly which was still mounted on my car - that all was teamed with a reverse light switch (bottom of the column) that illuminated the lamps in the wrong position - it actually worked out perfectly!

Since my car is now blown apart, this linkage stuff is one of the things that I really wanted to sort out, so that if I run a four speed, I have all the correct stuff - nothing will be left "rigged".

I found a guy who had the correct Muncie/HCP four speed rods;
He was a really nice guy and was able to share images of the OE Muncie vs Borg Warner rods.
He was able to confirm that the 1-2 & 3-4 rods were the same between BW & Muncie (with only the "button" ends being the visual difference), as well as the levers were in essence the same between the two.
Unfortunately for me, he wouldn't break up his set as the reverse rod was the "hen's tooth", so I decided to keep him in mind, and continue looking a bit more.

I knew based on the OEM-BW reverse rod and the HCP rod/lever set, roughly what I needed;
I borrowed a good candidate reverse rod from a bunch that one of my brothers had - it was nearly perfect, but it had a too long straight section after the "button" end.

My plan was to look at the PDX swap meet for any candidate reverse rods...

Then after looking for a while, I decided to take a chance on an ebay listing for a set of five rods;
The listing appeared to be two reverse, two 1-2 & 1 3-4 rod;
The seller said he believe they were "from a corvette";
He provided me a rough length of the reverse rods, but I was taking a real chance...
Well wouldn't you know it - this one worked!!

Those images show the BW 1-2 & 3-4 rods in place, along with the BW levers on a 1968 M20.
Now hopefully I can figure out what these "Corvette" rods really are, so that I can recoup my money on the ebay purchase - I am suspecting that they are C2/Muncie rods.

If you buy the HCP set with the levers, those WILL work, but they only work with their corresponding levers - not the factory levers.

Another possible option is the stuff that Inline Tube sells - this was going to be my next go-to if the PDX swap meet and ebay purchase didn't work;
I was told that their stuff is based off of 1969 GTO parts - and they do sell the rods individually.
Now OPH says that the 69 GTO rod won't work, and I'd take his opinion in high regard - but I am sharing what I was planning to do if I couldn't find anything to fit the bill.

What makes matters convoluted is that I was told before 1967(?) GM never stamped shift rods, and even post 1967 rods may have only a few charecters, if any at all - so you have to know what to look for.
As an example, I have three full sets of BW 74-81 rods;
I used a 1-2 & 3-4 rod (seen in the pictures), so I have one loose reverse rod (kijiji listing)
I found that all the BW 1-2 rods that I own have the whole stamped part number;
While the 3-4 rod typically has one to three charecters (the last or last three numbers in the full part number);
The reverse rod has NO numbers - the one I have listed on kijiji has nothing stamped on it - this is why I wrote the full part number with a paint pen;
My two others have a "S" stamp - that's it.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)