View Single Post
Old 04-21-2022, 08:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Tach rebuild/replace

The tach in my ‘70 Trans Am does not work properly. In addition to the clock not working (and the little ‘second’ hand being broken off) the tack bounces around, sometimes it sticks, and then falls back. Yesterday, under hard acceleration it spun all the way up to 8000 RPM, but obviously the engine didn’t spin that high.

Not that’s it’s relevant, but the fellow I bought the car from had the tach rebuilt by a place called Palo Alto Speedometer back in 2011. In looking at the repair order, he also complained of the tach sticking between 2000-2500 RPM.

I was also given an 8000 RPM tach that the previous owner told me he picked up at a swap meet years ago. Is there any way to identify that this is indeed an OEM tach (it was given to me in an OER box, and I didn’t think they made a tach for the ‘70).

Is my original tach rebuildable and if so, where do I send it (is Pete Serio still doing this kind of work?)

Will the extra tach I have actually work in a ‘70 TA (I thought the 70-72 cars were different from the ‘73 and up, and that the tachs couldn’t interchange.

Here is my extra tach: