View Single Post
Old 04-27-2022, 08:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65LC View Post
After some research of this problem, and the many possible causes I see, I better pull the wheel off first. Thanks for the replies. One other thing,- on '65 GTO, did the turn signals have the lane changer feature, where you could just put pressure on the lever to activate the signal instead of clicking it full on?
I'm pretty sure the lane change momentary contact switches first appeared for the '67 models.

My '64 GTO with original tilt column does not have the lane change feature.

I think all '67 Pontiacs featured it. I believe the '67 Mustang also featured it.

I thought perhaps it may have been a Fed mandated safety feature, helped eliminate the flashing turn signal for miles on end when the signal didn't cancel automatically and the driver "forgot" to cancel.

However it does not appear that all US made/sold cars had the feature in '67 so does not seem to have been a legislated feature, at least not as early as '67.

Regardless, the story goes that John Delorean came up with the very simple momentary contact lane change signal switch at a time when others were proposing more complex solutions to the problem.

GM ballyhooed the lane change feature for all of their '67 cars and even light trucks from what I can tell.