View Single Post
Old 08-05-2022, 06:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho-mike View Post
I read an article a number of years ago about how the new Chebby engines (LT1 or LS motors) were reverse cooled. The logic was that the optimum temperature for the heads was 160F but the block liked it warmer, around 220F. I have the article somewhere, so don't hold me to those numbers. Standard Pontiac pumps the water through the block, then into the heads. Reverse cooling would pump the water into the heads first, then into the block. Reverse cooling would optimize engine performance and reduce spark knock.

I've wanted to build a reverse cooled engine big cubic inch Pontiac engine with reverse cooling for some time now. I'm a mechanical design engineer, so I know how to thermocouple for testing and I design using CREO (PRO-E). The only problem is the software is expensive.
LT engines from like 93 to 97 were reverse cooling. Newer ones as well, But. PONTIAC did pump coolant into a pipe in the heads in the middle to late 50's . When they went conventional they never put the big holes in the block that Chevy did to cool their heads.
This is where the "421" mod comes into play with water pressure forcing more EVEN and better head cooling.
Pontiac engines from 60-79 don't run at even head Temps and so doing a FI system isn't really as optimum as it should be. A " bung" in the exhaust does NOT tell the temp story on Pontiac's.
While I love reverse cooling, a method to Even out each combustion chamber heat would really be a huge step.
While it doesn't require software, and its very very cheap, a "421" mod can get things evened up temp wise.
Be cool to find a way to monitor Temps at locations.. ( yeah I have an IR Gun.