View Single Post
Old 09-01-2022, 02:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Brad, I agree with you generally.

But I cringe when people say driving is a privilege, not a right.

This idea gets repeated so often, it is simply accepted by many/most people. And I doubt many really understand what it means when they say it. Was riding a horse a privilege? Was driving a horse drawn carriage a privilege? A bicycle?

When something is a privilege, it can be highly restricted and easily taken away whereas rights are not so easily restricted.

The matter is still argued despite certain legal rulings that find the ability to drive is a right.

This may seem counter to my post arguing that laws should prohibit stupid people from driving or that driver testing should be more rigorous. I make those arguments to illustrate my opposition to DUI laws. In other words, if you think DUI laws are "good", why stop there? Outlaw driving by under 25 males. Outlaw people with less than 20-20 uncorrected vision or those with hearing loss. Less than 120 IQ. Some of the worst driving behavior I notice are exhibited by people with handicap plates, why are they allowed to drive? The list goes on.

But I see driving as a right. The State is within its rights to regulate it. But their ability to take away the right should be as limited as their ability to take away any other right.