View Single Post
Old 12-06-2022, 07:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It all depends what years your talking about, how their record was. When JGR was racing with Bobby LaBonte and Tony Stewart as their drivers, and they were fielding Pontiacs, it wasn't bad, 3 national championships were captured by JGR. Of course that was with corporate engines. From 57-63 their record was pretty damn good also, so it's all relevant to what time period.

If you're only discussing Stratostreak powered cars in the late 60s, and early 70s a few privateer funded Pontiac teams with virtually no factory support, it was dismal. The few AMC teams with some factory backing did better. There was no way a privateer could be anything more than a car to fill the field during that time. By the early 60s if you didn't have some type of factory tie in, you were an, also ran.

We had a local guy that ran dirt tracks near my home town, that ran a 65 Catalina, with a 421, at Daytona in 1965. His name was Johnny Ditch, car number was U2. He made it into one of the film reels before the race, but I don't believe he even finished the race. No factory tie in, just a privateer that thought he had a chance to win the Daytona 500. His chances were about a million to one. At least he can say he qualified for the Daytona 500, and at least started the race.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post: