View Single Post
Old 01-05-2023, 07:22 AM

Those carbs were done in ASA on an FDM machine.
ASA material is basically ABS- not compatible with gasoline.
And FDM technology is porous without some post-processing work.
I was just goofing around one day and modeled them up because I was missing a set of end carbs for a spare Tri Power I had kicking around.

I subsequently modified the design slightly for one set because I was considering printing some in metal using DMLS and using them as throttle bodies with a set of fuel injectors replacing the NOS fogger nozzles I had in the cast iron '65 manifold.
I could've also done those in another polymer material that was compatible with gasoline though.

You can look up the specs of my old Stratasys Fortus 450mc FDM online. High temp materials extrude as you can expect at pretty high temp- approaching 800F. And the chamber temp is accordingly very high- over 300F. Nice machine. Run you about $250K though.

One problem with that FDM technology is soluble supports are liquified at those high temps- so you are forced to use breakaway supports- which can be problematic and time consuming to remove.
And the layer resolution with the high performance materials is only 0.010".

My latest acquisition is SLS Polymer powder bed fusion technology.
No supports required for exotic high temp materials.
Also isotropic strength & 10X faster builder times.
My first beta samples parts that used to take 3 hours to build on the old FDM platform now build in 20 minutes.
Price of admission for that bad boy runs north of $.5M+
But if you're savvy with the numbers, and you want to look like a hero for the company you work for- just do a cost benefit analysis showing the payback.

I submitted a very conservative CBA with a $650K CER showing a <6 month payback- on just a couple small parts.
Approvals came back almost immediately when you show $1M+ savings annually.
Lot of smiles.

In fact, I already have FY 23 budgeting in place to purchase another new machine.
Top secret discussions though- ground breaking technology.
I have NDAs in place so I can't talk about what I'm doing yet.
All I can say is it's DMLS based (metal) and kick-ass.

1965 GTO (Black) TRIPOWR
464CI TriPower 4-Speed

1965 GTO (Blue) 3X24SPD
464CI TriPower 4-Speed
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3X24SPD For This Useful Post: