View Single Post
Old 01-26-2023, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
That's an interesting story. .. Did your crank pulleys have the factory support plate in place when they broke?

Do you recall if the balancer bolt was still tight after the crank failed?
Yes on the support plate; both times it had a support plate.

And all the bolts were tight ... nothing loose at all. It appeared to be a fatigue failure at the point the factory pulley makes the bend/transition from the flat to the start of the dished area. I might be able to find one of the broken pulleys and post a pic, but Im not sure I have it as I've been reading a book titled "How to throw schitt away"

Jays, the damper did not fail in any way...it was only the pulley that broke.

25Steve, I'm not making any statement about fault of the crankshaft failure etc ... only telling of a sequence of events that led to the crankshaft failure and the fact that I experienced a crankshaft breakage where it seems to be the common place to break them when they do break, that is the 1-2 throw.

Hoping to gain insight into how 2 perfectly good used OEM pulleys broke apart in the way that they did and how that may be a warning to others if they experience the pulley breaking apart that it may be a clue that catastrophic failure could be lurking. After the first pulley broke I replaced it with another identical OEM 2 groove crank pulley. Some 6 months later the 2cnd pulley broke in the same exact way, so then I bought a March aluminum billet pulley and 6 months later the crankshaft breaks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crank.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	606083  

Last edited by RBAILEY; 01-26-2023 at 04:44 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to RBAILEY For This Useful Post: