Thread: Block decking
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2023, 08:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Basically what that all boils down to is ya gotta find a good machinist you can trust.
All your block work is based off the main saddle so if that isn't straight you can guess how the rest is going to turn out.

I'm of the other side of the coin than Cliffs experience, I've rarely had a block that didn't need caps machined and align honed. And with Pontiac blocks getting harder to find it's not like you have a lot to choose from.

Find a good machinist.
Been preaching this the entire time I’ve been posting on here( seventeen years), but I still see people posting on how the machine shop screwed something up. The problem is automotive machine shops are disappearing. There are TWO machine shops in the Louisville area I would actually let do work for me. At the best of the two the machinist is nearly ninety, but his work is impeccable. The second the machinist is a mere seventy-five years old. Not enough young men or young women have to “fire” in their bellies when it comes to automotive machining. To start a shop is incredibly expensive, even with used equipment. The only advice I would give someone on finding a good machine shop is to ask their customers. They are your best source as to the quality of the machine work that particular shop puts out. Remember that QUALITY machine work is NOT cheap.

Dr. Thomas Sowell