View Single Post
Old 03-30-2023, 05:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobuddy View Post
So when finishing bushings, you just go straight to the hone and no reamer?
That depends on the shop, the tooling they have, and the ID of the bushing. Reaming lifter bushings is really a tough job. Especially if doing it by hand. Honing is super slow, but accurate. When I have BHJ make my bushings, I size them so I don't have to ream them. I go for a .002-.0025" press fit. I try to have the ID about .004-.005" small once installed so I can just hone them. Honing from the OP's .842" nominal size to a .903" would take hours and probably wear out a set of stones. In his case, I would ream or drill them if I wanted to reuse those bushings. He would need to see if his shop has 2-4 incremental reamers to do this. Can't ream .060" in one shot. There is allot of advanced tooling and cnc processes out there. I have no idea what his shop may have available. In my minimal old school shop, we have a vertical mill and a rollover fixture. Plus the BHJ tooling. If I was reusing his bushings, I would have to drill the bushings within a 64th of an inch. Then hone the rest of the way. Or he can just start over. He can save a couple hundred bucks if he reuses them and they can be saved.

Last edited by mgarblik; 03-30-2023 at 06:05 PM.