Thread: Odd Driveshaft
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2023, 01:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
On driveline angles, and maybe you already know this....

Typically on a street driven car you want the trans pointing 2-3 degrees downward, and the rearend pointing the opposite at 2-3 degrees upward.

If drag racing there are other things to consider on rearend angles but I won't get into that here.

Generally on an A-body 4 link you won't be able to change driveline angles unless you have adjustable control arms. Easier on a leaf spring car with angle shims at various degrees. On yours, if it's never been messed with back there you'll probably find the rearend is already pointing upward a degree or two at ride height.

I've also found on many overdrive swaps such as the TKO's when using aftermarket cross members and/or aftermarket poly trans mounts the driveline angle changes quite a bit from where it would have been and some modifications are necessary to reacquire the angle you're looking for.
The TKO 600 takes up just about all the space in the tunnel so getting the tail up some took some shimming of the factory x-member. And I installed adjustable BMR upper control arms. When I checked the angle I had front tires resting on ramps and the rear on jack-stands at the axles. Not sure if that's enough to simulate it on the ground but the car was level.

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
‘66 Lemans, 455, KRE D-Ports, TH350, 12 bolt 3.90 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears (Traded)
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project