View Single Post
Old 05-11-2023, 08:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

All good info here. Well, the studs looked a bit of a mess since they had two previous attempts to seal them. But, yeah. I think they didn't set properly because what I found was soft and slimy and only near the top. Oil had been seeping past.

I have a limited stock of chemicals. The blue threadlocker I used the first time is the only one that actually says on the label that it is also a thread sealer. I also found I had Permatex RTV in Red, Blue and Black. Only the red one says on the label that it is for filling and sealing. So I decided to double my chances.

I cleaned off the studs with solvent, a wire wheel, then solvent again. For the bolt holes I blew them out with brake clean as before. Then I found a 7/16 bolt and cleaned it with wire wheel and solvent. I chased the threads on each hole twice with this bolt, cleaning it with paper towel and solvent in between each time. I did the blue threadlocker again on the ends of each stud and I did a smear of the red RTV around the top of each stud and under the head. Then I put it all back together. I'll try it tomorrow.

Sam

Sam Agnew

Where you come from is gone; where you thought you were going to, weren't never there; and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.
Ministry - Jesus Built My Hotrod