View Single Post
Old 05-19-2023, 05:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Late model truck rehab

So I'm going to be using my old 2011 GMC 2WD (94,000 miles) for a bunch of 2400 miles round trips, light towing (2000 lbs). Truck is a 1500, 5.3, six speed auto, tow package, HD cooling, HD suspension, locking diff, standard cab, standard bed, something like a 3.55 rear. (originally ordered for towing a small goose neck).

In the last 10K miles this work was done.
Flush cooling system, change coolant (Delco coolant)
Flush tranny, change filter (Delco products)
New rotors, calipers, pads, drums, shoes, hoses, wheel cylinders and brake fluid.
New battery, new tires, TPMS sensors, serpentine belt, idler and tensioner.
New vapor cannister purge valve, headlight bulbs, sway bar links and bushings. New front struts and springs, charged the AC.

Work done this week.
Diff fluid changed
New rear leaf spring bushings, new fuel pump, new tank straps, new rear shocks, new vapor vent valve and lines, new Class IV hitch, new spare tire, new universal joints, new alternator, (have new water pump in box to bring along), new plugs and wires, new front hubs/bearing, air filter, oil change, new rear tail light junction box, rear O2 sensors.

All the parts were GM if available, Delco when necessary, only a few aftermarket things like a Curt hitch, Bilstein shocks.

Anything I missed? Can't really do much if there is a catastrophic engine or trans failure, but both seem to be quite healthy at the moment. Will be bringing along the usual travel safety and emergency gear, extinguisher, basic tools, jumper pack and cables.

Last vehicle with this many miles on it that I drove this far was my GTO 45 years ago, and it was in much worse shape, and I didn't think twice about it .. sucks to get old