View Single Post
Old 05-22-2023, 02:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike ... excellent idea on the mirror ... I was wondering how I would get a look at that even though I have about three mirrors in the tool box

When I had the bed off to replace the fuel pump I did a bit of welding on the fuel tank support crossmember, and replaced the straps, and lots of rust treatment. It wasn't good, but I've seen WAY worse still on the road.

When I replaced the front hubs the dust shields that are sandwiched between the hub and steering knuckle were too rusty to reinstall, and are unavailable from any source (before my truck series and after, but not 2011) ... so at first I trimmed them down to just the part that got sandwiched between the parts .. but I didn't like the way that felt when I was torquing down the hub, too spongy as it tried to compress the bent up dust shield ... so I didn't use them, which moves the hub closer to the knuckle by probably 0.040" ... which of course moves the rotor that much closer, and shifts the rotor 0.040" to the inside of the caliper ... anyone think that is a problem? Nothing rubs, brakes work fine so far .. basically I think it would be the same as pads wearing a bit uneven.

And .... what the heck is that plate bolted on the bottom of a 5.3 oil pan? four bolts in asymmetrical through holes that hold it on, but it covers up nothing, there is no access to the oil pan ... it's just a metal plate bolted to the bottom front of the pan.