View Single Post
Old 05-22-2023, 02:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Those damn GM dust shields are really something. The rears are worse than the front generally. It's almost like they were treated with a special rust agent that would make them rust faster and dissolve faster than any metal known to man! I have seen them go to dust in 3 years around here. Never had an issue running without them. The brake caliper doesn't know the difference. It's a floating design so it just takes a new set on the slide pins. You may have already done this but Rock Auto sells some genuine GM dust backing plates. Possibly GM still has them in their parts system. I would think finding good used ones would be impossible. Those GM trucks are nice vehicles.
I checked Rock Auto ... I probably spent $2K on parts there for this rehab Evidently the front shields are just not available for my year. They have the rear original style, rear split style etc. But nothing for the front of 2WD 2011.

I'm sure one of the other year/series would fit, did all the usual searching the GM part number, looking for superseded numbers etc. Well ... it's all buttoned up, but you telling me it's not an issue makes me feel better. I'm sure there would have been lots of "DON'T DO THIS" videos on Youtube if it was a no-no

I will say it again ... jeez, I wish they offered like a $1000 option on new vehicles for "Rust Belt" locations with stainless brake hardware, nickel copper brake/fuel lines, proper undercoat, stainless shields, covers and mounts for underbody stuff.

Yep, I agree about those shields ... I guess I combination of salt and constant heat from the rotors accelerates the rusting process, you'd think the aftermarket would have stepped in with an SS part for that location.