View Single Post
Old 06-25-2023, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
Personally, i don't use the terms semi-gloss as there are so many different muted glosses of rattle cans. They are what they are.

Originally, the '68-mid 70's aircleaner bases & lids were quite glossy, just not 100% gloss black. Last time went through this I bought a gal of Exalta (prev Dupont) enamel, hardener, & flattening agent. Then we poured off 2 pints cans, & flattened the black some. we ended up around 80-85% gloss black for two dual snorkel asms. on 4 inner fenders & one coresupport we mixed more paint & a higher degree of flattener. two of the inner fenders & the coresupport were for an Arlington plant 70 GTO & we desired a little glossier black than what I'm using on my 72 T/A inner fenders.

Where Ive noticed so many fail is painting all the underhood large black finished components, including the cowl, the exact same shade of black, often out of a rattlecan. On a beater driver, near partscar, that does not bother me, but on a serious showcar, quite a bit of study needs to be taken, to get the shade of gloss correct. On '68-72 Pontiac 4bbl aircleaners I have a large supply, with several being off very low mile cars & put up. Also have several that are NOS boxed from the early 70's. One thing I've noticed over pulling original aircleaner asms over the last 4 decades is the later 70's Pontiac 400 and even the '80 turbo 301 aircleaners i have had put up since the mid 80's are not quite as high a gloss level of black.
'ol Pinion is spot on, on both the air cleaner base (high gloss) and the number of opinions on percentages of gloss for the engine bay...there are countless forum posts you can search for reference

Below is the air cleaner black I settled on after spending far too much time doing my own research

Can anyone share a simple formula they used for the engine bay that I could walk into a local PPG store to mix?! It shouldn't be this difficult. Ugh
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0734 (2).jpg
Views:	50
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	614837