View Single Post
Old 07-14-2023, 10:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay S View Post
I run check valves so the mechanical pump is able to pull full flow and bypass the electric. I turn on the electric as a helper pump for full power at the strip (just under 600HP on a couple cars) or to prime the carb. It is off most of the time. Carter sells an electric pump kit with the check valves, it was designed to run in tandem with the mechanical pump.
I've been really closely pondering something like this. But I've had some thoughts that are maybe specific to just how I think about things...

• I am sorta into really minimising the modifications (especially obvious ones). For example, I sorta really want to keep the stock pump-to-carb hard line and mechanical pump
• I'm pretty keen that an electric pump not stay running in case of an accident or something. Usually this means an oil pressure switch in conjunction with something that can override that while starting
• I hate electrical complexity
• I hate the sound of an external electric pump
• I don't want to have to replace the tank and replumb everything

So what I've been leaning towards as an idea is this:
• Keep my factory style mechanical pump
• Add a pusher pump with bypass like https://www.summitracing.com/parts/crt-p4602rv
• Add a full throttle switch like one of these "nitrous switches" and tie that to the electric pump

To my thinking this could be about perfect. Nice quiet stock functionality for most street driving. Electric kicks in for passing and at the track without me having to remember anything. I can just briefly hold the pedal down for a few seconds before starting if I want to prime. No worries about the pump running when the motor's off because of the throttle return spring and no need to plumb some oil pressure switch.

To my thinking this seems almost a flawless plan. Am I missing something obvious? Has anyone used a good WOT switch that fits nicely to a QuadraJet?

Sam

Sam Agnew

Where you come from is gone; where you thought you were going to, weren't never there; and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.
Ministry - Jesus Built My Hotrod
The Following User Says Thank You to glhs#116 For This Useful Post: