View Single Post
Old 08-12-2023, 01:29 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68bird400HO View Post
The stock fuel pump in my 68 bird 400 finally failed after 20+ years earlier this Spring. In shopping for a new one, the main brands available were AC Delco, Airtex, Delphi, and Carter. I chose the Delphi as the reviews seemed a little better. When it arrived, I had some reservations as it was made in China and they didn't even include a gasket. Put it on and ran great until last week when it died and left me stranded. Didn't even last 200 miles. So, this time I ordered the Carter since it was supposedly made in USA. Just received it looks exactly like the same tooling as the Delphi and also says Made in China. I think Airtex is probably the same and I don't see the AC Delco one out there anymore. I am thinking of just sending the Carter back because I can't enjoy my car wondering if/when the pump is going to leave me stranded every time I drive it.

I have this (pics) aftermarket pump I am thinking of seeing if I can find a rebuild kit for but not sure exactly what it is. Can anyone identify this?

Also thinking of just going Robb Mc. In either of these cases, I think I would need to make a custom pump to carb line.

Any suggestions? Is there a stock replacement out there that isn't a pile of junk? Car is stock so hoping to keep it as close as possible. Thanks.
Hey Pat,

I looked up your pump number in my GM parts book and came up with GM 6417212, AC 40607. I looked on eBay but nothing at this time with an AC NOS unit. There was an NOS unit in early June that sold for $230. When I placed that number for a search on eBay, many of the replacement pumps popped up from some of the manufacturers you spoke about. So much of this stuff is made overseas today, it's hard to trust the durability of anything! Good luck!