View Single Post
Old 08-29-2023, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
I agree there are other pontiac owners with cooling issues... but at 75° it should not be overheating at idle or when moving, especially with an aluminum radiator..

Ive read the 1st gen firebirds dont have ideal air flow, do you have the full shroud and fan is positioned right in the shroud? Are there other pieces that go around the core support ive read about?

Ive also heard that electric fans can restrict air flow and cause cooling issues compared to just the stock fan. One member on here has a 700hp gto that said he tried electric fans & other combos of parts but the best was a stock fan & shroud.

Just some suggestions & things to consider, hope you can figure it out.
Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I have the baffles installed as well as a gasket at the core support. I installed the e-fan years ago when I bought the car because it was overheating badly. The Spal didn't seem to have a noticeable affect on airflow but it does help to cool when i turn it on. I have, one by one, replaced every component of the cooling system which has helped and each piece helped in a small way but there has never been a silver bullet cure. I am close now so I'm happy and just a few degrees away from my personal target of not over 190. There are guys that have insisted that 210 to 220 is perfectly OK but I would rather run cooler than that, plus my car runs better at cooler temps.