View Single Post
Old 08-31-2023, 08:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint View Post
How was their record during the muscle car era after the '63 Catalinas were retired? I think it's accurate to say the RAV 366 CID Nascar engine program was ill- fated for many reasons.
If they didn’t do well it’s only because daddy GM stifled them .
The RAII GTO and RAIV firebird of Stephens Pontiac cleaned house at most tracks as did many other stocker Pontiacs in 68 69 when pro stock got big in 70 GMs racing ban was enforced hard by GM on Pontiac but wasn’t the case with CHEVY they fed those CHEVY racers a healthy diet of race parts and COPO cars w aluminum engines. Stephens was the ONE lone team racing pro stock w a Pontiac in 71 ! There were few parts to be had and absolutely NO DATA to share with other teams . You can’t underestimate the value of information from other teams

In 63 when Pontiac embarrassed all the other makes in Daytona GM decided Pontiac was DONE they would never ever overshadow the vette and camaro again.

If GM had allowed a 428 version of the RAV as was already built , w the V heads and the dual quad high rise intake nothing would have touched it in stock and super stock. All that data would have fed the pro stockers and hood rods would have made it possible for them to win against factory backed teams w hemis and alluminum 427s But daddy GM wouldn’t allow it

I own a RAIV firebird that’s as raced in 69 and a pro stock RAV engine w dual quads. I know the two drivers of these cars and I know the story of how GM shut them down when word came out they had an aluminum block RAV and how GM had a hissy fit and kicked them
Out of the racing program for letting that information get out

But it really wasn’t that the info got to the public. It was that GM brass found out that Tom nell and herb adams were helping them w these pieces.
The article is in Jan 72 rodder and super stock
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	619150  

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
The Following User Says Thank You to turbo69bird For This Useful Post: