View Single Post
Old 09-26-2023, 11:46 PM
Senior Chief

One problem solved, one created....what a frustrating evening...

It was the switch. Stupid reproduction parts!

I still had the original (but broken) switch. I also have a spare original GM switch from a 78 T/A I restored a few years ago. Both the GTO and the T/A are standard columns (no tilt). Turns out the only difference between the two switches is the connector body where it plugs in to the main harness. I was able to de-pin both connectors & put the GTO connector onto the T/A switch. Everything fit together perfectly and works as God and GM intended.

Call it a success, but I'm pretty annoyed with the whole ordeal. M and H advertises their harness as correct; the wire colors on the switch I got were totally different than original, and the harness connector was completely different. In fact, they supplied a second "adapter" harness so I could plug their switch into my original harness...pretty far from correct.

It's not just M and H either; The front lamp harness from American Autowire was defective. Every time I turned on the parking lamps the fuse would blow. I spent hours going thru the original main & rear harnesses looking for a short. I never checked the front harness because it was new. Finally I got wise enough to disconnect the front harness at the firewall - no more blown fuses. Tracked it down to a short in one of the light sockets of the new harness. Cut it off & spliced in a different one; low & behold everything works...8 hours of my life I'm never getting back...

The new problem created? Somehow in all this ordeal I smashed the passenger side door glass. I don't even know how it happened.....dammit....