View Single Post
Old 11-09-2023, 12:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

For an extra $20 it is certainly an easy choice to add the DLC. My opinion has not really changed, I think that DLC is really helpful on the break in. The tech mentioning durability testing done with Spinatron testing is pretty cool. I don’t know what percentage of failures occur from the types of testing comp did on their spinatron with spring surge issues. But my guess for something on the street the percentage would be pretty low.

Personally I think most failures are because the machining on the lifter taper and or cam isn’t done very well. Plus there is some softer metal out there also, I have heard of some cams dropping down into the upper 20s on some Rockwell tests in recent years. Either way, if cam breaks in and too much of the taper is removed on the break in, and life of the cam is shortened up, and often doesn’t make it past the break in right now. The DLC on the face should really help the break in, Nitiriding the cam makes the break in go a lot smoother too. Pair up it would be better yet. It is also not unusual to get a couple tickers with hi energy lifters, especially with aggressive cams. In that regard the DLC on those hi energy lifters is a bit like lipstick on a pig. You may get to return a couple lifters to get all the blead rates the same. I have never been around a hi energy lifter that didn’t have a ticker with Voodoo’s and XE cams. Maybe it is just my luck though. But I think the DLC is a good start at the issues, hat’s off to comp for moving that forward.

Last edited by Jay S; 11-09-2023 at 12:49 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jay S For This Useful Post: