View Single Post
Old 11-28-2023, 06:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiphead View Post
Thanks for the explanation. So I'm pricing it out.

When I add up what a SPC/AFX/18" wheel conversion will cost, it adds up to about $5500.

I can do UMI/AFX/18 wheels for roughly $4700. So the price difference is roughly 700-1100. I can put that toward the springs/swaybars.

Will I notice the difference between UMI and SPC? My application is spirited street driving and backwoods carving but no auto x. What combo provides the best ROI for a street car?
How would you grade yourself as a performance driver? If you're a fairly average driver, on the street with a typical street tire, you're probably not going to notice a difference. If however you've spent a bit of time in real high perfomance driving events, racing schools etc. and you're running something like an Falken Azenis, R888 etc, you're probably going to come up against the car's limit.

These cars plow by nature, especially when you give them grip in the rear. That's going to be what you end up fighting as you get comfortable with the car. It's just the nature of how these things are built with tons of weight forward of the front wheels.

You counter this by adding a lot of negative camber gain, a lot of positive caster, and as much of the stickiest rubber you can fit in the front. This is where the SPC items will have an edge, with the ability to run quite a bit more positive caster.

So I think answering this question really is posing another question. How serious are you about how the car needs to perform? If this is a weekend toy that you can take through the hills and have some fun, I'd save the 1000-1500 and put it elsewhere. If you're trying to keep up with the modern stuff at Deals Gap, you're going to want to spend the extra.