View Single Post
Old 11-30-2023, 05:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMounce View Post
To piggy back on that, you also want the large wheels. The added hoop diameter starts putting suspension components of these cars inside the wheel, which gives you more clearance to run wider wheels and more rubber. Options for performance tires for 15" wheels are basically non-existent, except for drag race stuff.

If your goal is handling and all you ever want to run on these cars is a typical 235/55/15, there's no reason to spend thousands on suspension at all. Put a half inch tall ball joint in the stock upper control arm, add a sway bar and some decent shocks and call it good. The tire's limitation makes going any further than that a bad ROI. Once you get into 17" plus wheel sizing the tires you have available to you become worlds better. I know that not everyone likes the look of big wheels on these classics, but it really is a case of form following function.
Assessing my actual real needs (and my age over 60) I believe this is the best advice for my GTO. The only question would be who is a good source for the 1/2" taller ball joint? Or would I do better to just get a new upper arm with the taller ball joint (Global West)? Thanks.

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/