View Single Post
Old 12-15-2023, 01:13 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
Noise; A Roller rocker just might be hitting the valve cover. Bearing in Front Pump or Alternator, or a bum lifter guts.
Mikes reply:

I don't use roller Rockers at this time, so we can rule that one out.

I can run the Motor and listen to the Water pump and Alt. , however, the noise is coming from the # 7 cyl. area. And if the lifter is damaged in that area, I will have to start pulling them. I do have the tool to pull the Lifters out and the compressor to fill the spark plug hole with air to hold up the valve. I too thought of a Lifter issue. Last night we pulled the Valve covers and ran the motor for a closer observation of where the noise is emanating from and Lou still thinks # 7 upper end/top of motor. We thought that by going to a heavier oil it may pump up a hanging Lifter to our advantage, however if we change the oil, we will go for the 10-40 instead. However, I still need to read about the so-called benefits of using Synthetic Motor oil for lubrication purposes, not to mask the noise sound, believe me I thought of that already too. Thank you for your input, without the ridicule. Some people are unneighborly at times. Please be more sensitive about what I am going through. Sure, I can rip this Motor apart, but what am I learning if that is the first thing I do, instead of methodically working my way to the root of a problem. So far, as I think my way, we have discovered a need to replace the Harmonic Balancer and the Flexplate, both of which would have come out in a total rebuild anyway. We had the Heads remanufactured and that is part of a rebuild, is it not? We are heading in the direction of a rebuild, we're just not prepared to go all the way until we go over every other possible internal or external reason an Engine could make a ghost noise. It may very well come down to a rebuild motor and then you can say, "I told you so".

The AC mechanic said that "all the various parts of the system needed to be replaced", but I went through each and every one, as I went along the way. Turned out he was correct.

The Transmission Mechanic over the internet said "to rebuild the Trans.", but I went another 300 miles before doing so, at least that gave me the confidence to rebuild it myself. All that Reading and testing and tuning paid off, when I finally rebuilt the Trans., successfully. This Motor will be here when it is time to be rebuilt, the only thing that has not been, is the lower end and I have always been working toward the complete job.

As far as "how I run my Thread", as long as the moderator allows me to run it my way, then that is the way it will be run, as someone said, "do you really want Mike to start seven new posts a day"?

Better for me to have everything in one place. JMO