View Single Post
Old 12-19-2023, 01:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Corcoran View Post
Do you have cast iron caps? Have you talked to your machinist yet about the thrust register will need to be machined on the new thrust cap? A lot of machinists won't even take the job, they are used to chevy main caps that don't have dowel pins and the process is much easier. Some say that going to 4 bolt mains doesn't do much unless they are splayed and that two bolt mains are stronger than most believe. I personally don't have the expertise to weigh in on that. I can tell you I'm going to have a big bill for putting these new four bolt steel caps and the line hone. He won't be able to give me a price until he knows how many hours he has into it.
I’m trying to understand WHY cutting the thrust to the proper thickness has been such an issue. All the align bore machines I’m familiar with have a thrust cutting fixture that attaches to the cutting bar. I’ve used this cutting fixture a few hundred times over the years. You just have to be aware of how much material you are removing from the block side of the thrust, as to no machine the thrust surface too narrow.

Dr. Thomas Sowell